Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Stance on Death

   There are things we need to do before we die, and there are things we want to do before we die.  Some people think all these things belong together on a bucket list, and that there is little difference between the two.  Others don't want to think about it and ignore the idea of death all together.  I have recently come to a realization about my position on the idea of death and what we should do before we die.  I have done all I needed to do in life, therefore the rest of what I do from here on out will be things I want to do before I die.
   I don't need to see the world, have children, get married, or bungee jump into a lake before I die, I just want to do those things.  Those wishes or hopes for things I'd like to do in the future are one third of the reason I keep living.  The people who care about me and don't want to see me leave this life are another third, and finally the pure enjoyment I get from living is the final reason for me, personally, to live.  Goals give me something to work for, people provide company and make me feel needed, and even without those two things, it is so pleasurable just to exist in the world we live.
   Coming to college and finally living away from my family while being able to study art has brought me to the highest point in my life; I have never been happier.  In a given moment I felt nothing but happiness, and that's all I really needed out of life.  Being in a place where I can learn from phenomenal professors about things I actually care about while not living with my parents but still maintaining a close relationship with my boyfriend was all I needed to get me to a point of happiness that satisfied my desire to live. And now life is all the more better that I don't worry about dying; it doesn't matter for me anymore.  I know a lot of people who worry about death often, and maybe I'm just a really simple person with low standards for life, but they all seem to get hooked on the fear of leaving this place into the step of existence while I could care less.
   I thought this might be something easy to respond to and helpful to stir up conversation (especially for those people who haven't even made a post yet).  So, what would it take to satisfy you to the point where death doesn't matter?  What is it you think you need out of life? And what holds you back now from being truly happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment